Keep in mind that garbage content will get you garbage results. Create a quality Content Marketing System.
Instead of trying to take a single shot at your prospect and “harpoon” him into buying, you create a nice, comfortable content “net” that supports him and keeps him happy.
Great content creates a high level of trust and rapport, and educates your potential client about all the benefits of doing business with you.
Try this mix:
- 10-15% entertainment and/or “personality” content that forms an emotional connection with your reader (if you’re shy about revealing personal details, this will probably lean more toward the “entertainment” side)
- 50-60% valuable tips and quickly usable information
- 10-15% weighty reference and higher-value content your readers will want to bookmark and return to (as time goes on, you may find you create less of this, preferring to send readers back to your classic content)
- 5-15% content that builds relationships with other bloggers, including news and links to other content
- 5% “selling” content that leads to an affiliate promotion or to a sales sequence for your own product
Don’t get too hung up on precise numbers, but do try to keep your content profile in this general neighborhood.
Your audience will tell you the best mix for you. Some markets want lots of entertainment, some like plenty of news, and others want to form a strong bond with you as a person.
The most enduring way to maximize those “sales” is this: Keep your attention focused obsessively on your customer.
If you’re going to create relationships online, there’s got to be someone for your readers to have a relationship with. Your persona needs to consistently reflect two core messages:
- You know what you’re talking about.
- You care about your audience as human beings.
You need more than great content though, you need a content marketing system.
Your content needs to be put into a system so that it pulls potential customers closer and closer to you, and delivers a marketing message in a way that’s inviting, not creepy.
We can set up that system for lead generation using content marketing.